GDC with D frontend 2.081.2

Matthias Klumpp mak at debian.org
Fri Aug 24 10:50:05 UTC 2018

On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 08:50:22 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM Basile B. via
> Digitalmars-d-announce < digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Great news. Best of luck for a wide adoption in the official
>> package managers of the linux distributions.
>>
> I do not think this will be an issue. I believe as soon as gdc
> will be
> part of gcc it will be part of many linux distribution

Indeed. Having GDC merged into GCC is *huge* for the D language.
It means that pretty much every Linux distribution out there will
have a supported D compiler available, and this includes
enterprise distributions like RHEL. Even if enterprise distros
might not give full support for GDC, it will still be available.
I know from experience that this is something people look at when
deciding whether using a programming language is viable and can
be long-time supported in their company, so for D and the public
image of D, being in GCC is absolutely awesome.

FWIW, Debian already has an up-to-date GDC 8, so does Ubuntu.
"Unfortunately"[1] for GDC though, the default compiler for D
stuff in Debian is LDC on most architectures, because it still
works quite a bit better (as in: more D code can be compiled with
it).

[1]: Not really, LDC is really good too!