S2 Geometric Library for D

Vijay Nayar madric at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:34:46 UTC 2018

I would like to announce the release of the S2 Geometric Library
in the D Programming Language.

Who: This is of interest to engineers who need to process very
large amounts of geographic coordinate data very quickly.  E.g.
ride-shares, bikes, maps, etc.

What: The S2 Geometric Library was originally developed by Eric
Veach from Google to serve as a highly performance geo-spatial
library with very high accuracy. It achieves this by keeping
coordinates as 3D points which are projected onto the Earth's
surface.  http://s2geometry.io/

Where: DUB Package - https://code.dlang.org/packages/s2geometry-d

When: Right now, the first version with most features is ready.
The remaining features will be added in the following couple of
months.

Why: I have used the Java port of this library
(https://github.com/google/s2-geometry-library-java) in systems
handling thousands of inputs per second with great results.  The
Java version, however, is 7 years old, and because performance
was my interest, I decided to port this library from it's modern
C++ version to D.

How: Lots and lots of work over a long time:
https://github.com/vnayar/s2geometry-d/graphs/code-frequency