A brief survey of build tools, focused on D

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:53:50 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at 09:38:55 UTC, Sönke Ludwig
wrote:
> Am 11.12.2018 um 20:46 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:26:45AM +0100, Sönke Ludwig via
>> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> The main open point right now AFAICS is to make --parallel
>>> work with
>>> the multiple-files-at-once build modes for machines that have
>>> enough
>>> RAM. This is rather simple, but someone has to do it. But
>>> apart from
>>> that, I think that the current state is relatively fine form a
>>> performance point of view.
>>
>> Wait, what does --parallel do if it doesn't compile multiple
>> files at
>> once?
>
> It currently only works when building with
> `--build-mode=singleFile`, so compiling individual files in
> parallel instead of compiling chunks of files in parallel,
> which would be the ideal.

If by "the ideal" you mean "compile the fastest", then you don't
want to compile single files in parallel. I measured across
multiple projects, and compiling per package (in the D sense, not
the dub one) was fastest. Which is why it's the default with
reggae.