Blog post: What D got wrong

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Dec 17 09:33:24 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-12-15 at 19:53 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 December 2018 at 02:16:36 UTC, Nathan S. wrote:
> > On Thursday, 13 December 2018 at 10:14:45 UTC, Atila Neves
> > wrote:
> > > My impression is that it's a consensus that it _should_, but
> > > it's not going to happen due to breaking existing code.
> >
> > I think it would be a bad idea for `immutable` because more
> > often than not it would need to be turned off.
>
> Not the case in Rust, not the case in how I write D. TBH it's not
> such a big deal because something has to be typed, I just default
> to const now anyway instead of auto. @safe and pure though...

Shouldn't be the case in Java either, since it is and always has been a single
assignment supporting language – it's just that they made mutable the default,
and trained people not use final.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200