Blog post: What D got wrong

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Dec 18 18:52:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 16:50 +0000, Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 08:17:28 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> > I did a lightning talk at the GStreamer conference in Edinburgh a couple
> > of months ago, concluding that I think D (which about half the audience
> > knew of) is overall better than Rust for GTK+ and GStreamer
> > applications, but recognising that Rust is actually the replacement for
> > C and C++ for GTK+ and GStreamer applications. (Obviously Python has an
> > ongoing role in all this as well.)
>
> Is there a video link for that talk? I'd be interested in hearing it.

The videos are here:

https://gstconf.ubicast.tv/channels/#gstreamer-conference-2018

I think they recorded the lightning talks as a single video, so you'll have to
fast forward to my little bit.

I see from:

https://pengutronix.de/de/2018-10-29-gstconf-2018.html

That it has been described "an entertaining lightning talk about the history
of MeTV, a live TV viewing application, up to the latest rewrite in Rust using
GStreamer"

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200