DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 22 22:13:44 UTC 2018

On 12/22/2018 6:26 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> If you don't like conferences you don't have to go. I for one am excited about
> being in London in May. Please don't sour it for other who think/feel like I do.

That's right. And hefting a pint with Atila is guaranteed to be a highlight of
the conference! I recommend it for those who haven't had the pleasure.

That said, I think we've probably tried to cram too many presentations into the
schedule. We should probably have fewer and put gaps between them for people to
digest and talk about them.

Also, I try to make my presentations less "I lecture and you listen silently" to
be much more interactive and engaging with you guys. I suggest others planning a
presentation to also think along those lines.

Some other advantages of DConf off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. putting a face and name to the person greatly helps working with people
remotely the rest of the year

2. it's amazing how intractable, obstinate online positions just melt away when
discussed in person over a beer

3. it's fun to see what other people are doing, as it's easy to miss what's
important by just monitoring the n.g.

4. I regard all you folks as my friends, and it's fun to be with y'all

5. many, many collaborations have spawned from meeting like minded individuals
at DConf

6. employers come to DConf looking for D developers, and many D developers have
gotten jobs from them. If that isn't a win-win, I don't know what is!