DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 23 09:36:19 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 08:08 +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[…]

> This questioning of iOS is so removed from reality that it makes
> me question if you are qualified to comment on this matter at
> all. iOS is the largest consumer software platform that is still
> growing, as it's estimated to bring in twice the revenue of
> google's Play store (that doesn't count other Android app stores,
> but they wouldn't make up the gap):

Fair enough I have no interest in iOS at all. But you must agree that you are
clearly so far removed from the reality of putting on technical conferences
generally, that you are not qualified to make assertions such as "conferences
are a dead form".

> You could make various arguments for why they're still having
> less and less conferences, as my second link above listing them
> does. But to argue that iOS is not doing well is so ludicrous
> that it suggests you don't know much about these tech markets.

Ludicrous is a good description of the entire situation in this thread. You
are making assertions as though they are facts, working on the principle that
if you shout long enough and loud enough, people will stop disagreeing. A
classic technique.

[…]

> Yes, the proof is there: the conference is dying. You simply
> don't want to admit it.

This is just assertions with no  data and thus is a religious position. And I
know conferences are thriving, you just do not want to admit that.

> This seems to be a religious issue for you, with your bizzare
> assertions above, so I'll stop engaging with you now.

No it is you that has faith in the death of conferences, I am involved in the
reality of conferences being a relevant thing that people want to attend. Just
because you do not want to go to conferences doesn't give you the right to try
and stop others from doing so.

If you are going to stop ranting on this, I think that will make a lot of
people very happy. The idea of this email list is to announce things, not
debate things. Also on the debating lists the idea is to have a collaborative
not combative debate about things. That includes if some people want to do
something they should be allowed to do it and not be harangued from the wings.
If people want to have a DConf, it is not your position to tell them they
cannot.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200