DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 22:22:08 UTC 2018

On 12/24/18 2:44 AM, Joakim wrote:
> On Sunday, 23 December 2018 at 22:36:05 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>> Huh? It's their decision, not yours. Even if the decision has no
>> reason at all, it's still theirs. What is the problem? Start your own
>> D "conference competitor" if you think you can do better.
>
> They are accountable to the community, so the decision and its reasons
> matter.

My impression is that the community likes and benefits from these
conferences, so everything's cool there.

> I, for one, will not be donating to the foundation as long as
> they continue to waste money this way, just as others have said they
> won't donate as long as it doesn't put out a Vision document anymore or
> otherwise communicate what it's doing with their money.

Nobody is asking for your money for this conference (unless you want to
attend), and if you feel this way, that's totally your choice. I like
the results that come from the conferences, I've been to all of them
since 2013, on my dime for 3, and with assistance for 3. I felt it was
100% worth it for all.

>> Nobody cares to debate something that has already been scheduled and
>> planned, the time to bring up concerns was earlier, when you brought
>> it up before. But that failed to convince, now it's decided, time to
>> move on.
>
> So you agree with me that there's no point in "debating" it again,
> perhaps you should have addressed this comment to Mike then?

Mike didn't start the debate in this thread, you did. Consider how one
feels when careful deliberation is made, and a final decision, combined
with an announcement is made. Would you like to have people question
your decisions AFTER they are made, and commitments have already been
established? The time to question them is before they are made, not
after. Questioning after is simply viewed (rightly) as sour grapes. You
didn't get your way, move on.

>>> If it's such a great idea, that should be an easy case to make,
>>> compared to the alternatives given. Yet all I get is a bunch of
>>> stone-walling, suggesting no reasoning was actually involved, just
>>> blindly aping others and the past.
>>
>> It is easy, for those who have attended conferences and like them --
>> they work well. All past dconfs are shining examples. Just drop it and
>> move on to something else. You lost the battle for this one, it's no
>> longer up for discussion.
>
> Heh, there was no "battle," as most of those responding didn't even
> understand what I wrote, like Iain above, gave no arguments (we "like
> them -- they work well"), and as finally clear from Mike and Walter's

You think they just flipped a coin one day, and didn't think about any
past experience at all? No real thinking must have gone into it because
only intelligent people can come to the conclusion you reached, right?
This kind of "debate" where the assumption is that only my way is
correct is common out there these days, it's tiring. The best thing you
can do is start a competing conference style and show how it works
better. I'm sure Walter and Andrei would not discourage more D
conferences or conference-like gatherings.

> Since they don't take DConf seriously, I see no reason to either: I'll
> just start ignoring it from now on.

That's unfortunate, but not anything I can change. You have contributed
a lot in terms of the android port, although I haven't really programmed
in android (I have a tiny bit, with Xamarin (hated it) and a bit with
Java (was OK, but crazy complicated) ). I hope at some point you
reconsider, I'd love to see a presentation on it.

-Steve