DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 00:51:51 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 00:06:39 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
wrote:
> I don't mean to stoke the flames on this anymore, but I do:
> I've been to past conferences and now that I'm not a poor
> student anymore I'd pay to go to them.

I've been to past conferences and don't consider it worth going
even if I was paid to go. The only way I'd even consider it again
is if either 1) it is in a location where I have other business
or 2) the format has some change, even if it is a small
conservative change like what I described in the previous email,
in at least *some* of the talks.

The talks are either irrelevant, trivial, or vaporware
(seriously, how much of the stuff described have never come to
pass?), and there's really no benefit in spending several days of
my life on that. Especially when I can watch it on youtube in
half the time (thanks 2x speed playback)... or less (thanks
skimming around to find the interesting nugget in the sea of
boredom).

Wanna know my favorite part of the ones I attended? Walking
around UVU with Prof. Allison.... the one thing I did that was
NOT part of the official schedule.

That's why I agree with Joakim - we should tweak the format to
maximize the stuff that BASICALLY EVERYONE AGREES are better -
the actual in-person interaction.