dxml 0.1.0 released

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Feb 10 19:09:12 UTC 2018

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:04:48 Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 21:15:33 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > I have multiple projects that need an XML parser, and
> > std_experimental_xml is clearly going nowhere, with the guy who
> > wrote it having disappeared into the ether, so I decided to
> > break down and write one. I've kind of wanted to for years, but
> > I didn't want to spend the time on it. However, sometime last
> > year I finally decided that I had to, and it's been what I've
> > been working on in my free time for a while now. And it's
> > finally reached the point when it makes sense to release it -
> > hence this post.
> >
> > [...]
>
> FWIW we recently forked the experimental.xml repo to
> dlang-community:
>
> https://github.com/dlang-community/experimental.xml
>
> So PRs etc can be merged easily.
> But yeah it's not moving anywhere atm :/

Yeah, I got some e-mails about that the other day, since I had some open
issues and PRs on it, and IIRC github was telling me that you'd migrated
some of that over, but unless someone decides that they want to take up the
torch on it, it seems pretty dead. I assume that the guy who did it simply
got too busy with school once GSoC ended and then never got back to it even
when he did have time. If he were serious about finishing it and being an
active part of the D community, he would have at least looked at some the
PRs on the project, but he's been completely silent for quite a while now.
So, I guess he moved on. I was able to use it on one of my projects by
making some local changes and by working around some bugs, but it clearly
needs work that it's not getting.

I had some rather specific ideas about what I wanted to do with an XML
parser though and didn't want to spend the time trying to decipher what he'd
done and morph it into something more like what I wanted, so I just started
from scratch.

- Jonathan M Davis