dxml 0.1.0 released

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Feb 11 11:15:52 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-02-11 at 03:34 -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:

[…]
> Given how strings work in D, parsing is something that we should
> easily be
> able to do faster than other languages - or at least, other languages
> typically have to write much less idiomatic code and go to a lot more
> effort
> to reach the speeds that we can easily reach with idiomatic D code.
> So, in
> general, IMHO, parsers are one of those things that we should
> typically be
> writing natively.

Works for me, and given you have given the project a massive kick
start, hopefully others can get stuck in and Phobos can do a swap of
what was with what is.

> That being said, if someone really wants full DTD support, I have no
> problem
> sending them off to deal with bindings to C/C++ libraries, since I
> for one
> am not willing to put in the time or effort to support that part of
> the XML
> spec, since it complicates things considerably while adding nothing
> positive
> IMHO. I'm sure that a D solution could compete excellently with a
> C/C++
> solution, but it's sure not worth my time and effort, and no one else
> has
> stepped up to implement anything along those lines.

I am no longer doing XML stuff myself, but a couple of years ago DTDs
were "dead" and everyone was using XML Schemas.

> Also, we're not about to put bindings to a C/C++ library for XML in
> Phobos
> (it's already been argued quite a bit that doing so with curl was a
> big
> mistake), so if we want to replace std.xml, that calls for writing a
> replacement in D.

True, and entirely reasonable. It is why lxml is only available via
download or far more usually via PyPI.

D having a really good XML (and XSLT) support in it's standard library,
and removing the crud, would be one up on what Python has done.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200