The Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge in D

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:42:04 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:35:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Someone revived the Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge thread
> today and I thought this is an excellent opportunity to revive
> my blog and finally write an article showing why I like D so
> much:
>
> https://seb.wilzba.ch/b/2018/02/the-expressive-c17-coding-challenge-in-d
>
> It's mostly targeted at beginners as I explain many basic D
> features, but maybe it's helpful for beginners looking into D.

Nice! Good overview of many of the good things in D.

Nitpicks:

> I used the following rdmd script to generate a simple CSV file
> with 10 fields and 10m lines:
>
> rdmd --eval='10.iota.map!(a=> "field".text(a)).join(",")
> .repeat(10_00_000).joiner("\n").writeln' > input_big.csv

10_00_000 should probably be 10_000_000.

> They are only view on the actual memory and you don’t copy the
> array, but just the view on (in D it’s called a slice).

Missing some words here: "only *a* view". "but just the view on"
seems to be missing the second half of the sentence.

There's also a few typos: 'vauge' should be 'vague', 'it
providers' should be 'it provides', 'shot yourself in the feet'
should probably be 'shoot yourself in the foot'

Thanks for writing all this - it's a great intro to the language.

--
   Sien