The Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge in D

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:40:00 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:35:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Someone revived the Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge thread
> today and I thought this is an excellent opportunity to revive
> my blog and finally write an article showing why I like D so
> much

I first looked into C++ and Rust examples, just quickly without
thinking them deeply. I thought that wow, the problem is probably
more complicated than it looks. Seems to need many functions to
solve eleganty.

Then when I saw your example I, of course, concluded that the
problem is as simple as it seems. I would really have excepted
C++ or at least Rust to come close to D, perhaps even achieve the
same LoC count with a bit of luck.

Excellent article all-in-all, because it shown so many D features
in a compact AND realistic way. I think a good D programmer might
well write programs in that style for everyday use, not just for
show. If someone asks "what would then be an unrealistic program
then" it would be one that excessively uses introspection.

One improvement proposal: in the "Other features" part, you
mention full compatibility with c. I think you should add "and
with most of c++" because it might be a killer feature for some
potential users.