Beta 2.079.0

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Feb 20 10:13:45 UTC 2018

On 20/02/2018 9:49 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 21:50:02 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

>>> This release is fantastic!
>>>
>>> In the change log information about lld linker is missing. Maybe you
>>> can add
>>> some info how to use it instead of link.exe (the OMF one).
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> André
>>
>> LLD does not replace the OMF linker, but the MS linker for COFF.
>>
>> The Windows installer also comes with platform libraries built from
>> the mingw definitions and a wrapper library for the VC distributable C
>> runtime libraries. This allows using dmd with -m64 and -m32mscoff
>> without having to install Visual Studio, the VC build tools or the
>> Windows SDK.
>>
>> I'll add a PR for the changelog...
>
> How does one keep on using Microsoft's linker? I've tried lld on Linux
> and while some binaries ran fine, others crashed. I don't trust it all
> right now.
>
> Atila

By the looks, nothing.

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/3030457738872ffe12e145dddb80b8b4cf766e4b/src/dmd/link.d#L1031

Also Windows and Linux support in lld may as well be equated to a
completely different set of projects.

"The linkers share the same design but share very little code. Sharing
code makes sense if the benefit is worth its cost. In our case, the
object formats are different enough that we thought the layer to
abstract the differences wouldn’t be worth its complexity and run-time
cost. Elimination of the abstract layer has greatly simplified the
implementation." - https://lld.llvm.org/NewLLD.html