Beta 2.079.0

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Tue Feb 20 19:55:53 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 at 08:26:06 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 20/02/2018 01:58, Basile B. wrote:
>> On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 21:50:02 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:

>>> LLD does not replace the OMF linker, but the MS linker for
>>> COFF.
>>>
>>> The Windows installer also comes with platform libraries built
>>
>> Just one step left to get an unified debug experience then:
>> dward2 debug info for windows COFF objects.
>>
>> Is that right ?
>
> I don't think that is planned in the near future.
>
> AFAICT DWARF debug support in dmd is not better than COFF (GDC
> might have an edge here), but using gdb instead of the VS
> debugger (or any other debugger suporting standard debug info)
> on Windows is pretty uncommon.

I mean that by default we could have, under windows
- the standard C lib interfaced to MinGW stuff (instead of
digital mars snn.lib)
- COFF objects, (instead of OMF)
- DWARF2 debug infos, so that GDB can be used.

GDB doesn't recognize OMF (and even if it did then there's the CV
problem).

FreePascal compiler follow this pattern: COFF everywhere, and
DWARF as format of debug infos. What i meant is that DMD is at
one step of being able to do the same, under windows even for
COFF objects, debug infos are not DWARF format but the MS format.
(unless i miss something, which is possible since i don't use win
anymore).