Beta 2.079.0

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Feb 22 10:07:40 UTC 2018

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 09:54:17 Uknown via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 February 2018 at 09:48:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 22, 2018 09:42:47 Atila Neves via
> >
> > Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:

> > Once a feature is in the language, it affects you even if you
> > never use it. :|
>
> Which is why we should not let it pass. Why didn't this feature
> go through the usual DIP process?

All I can say for sure is what was said in the PR linked in another post:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6589

Based on the comments in the PR, Walter initially opposed it because he
didn't like how it looked, but he said nothing after that. However, later,
Andrei comments on the PR and thought that it was simply a fix for the
current syntax and that it didn't need a DIP and thus approved it. I have no
idea if he talked to Walter about it or not, but there is nothing in the PR
to indicate that Walter ever changed his mind.

This language change does not appear to have gone through much discussion
either. Basically, Martin thought that it was a significant improvement and
thus created a PR for it. Walter didn't like it but didn't close it. Almost
10 months later, Andrei sees it and decides that it's a small change which
fixes a problem with the syntax and approves it and merges it, clearly
thinking that it's not a big deal at all.

- Jonathan M Davis