Beta 2.079.0

Radu void at null.pt
Thu Feb 22 14:00:25 UTC 2018

On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 15:58:57 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 15:45:30 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 10:49:03 UTC, Martin Nowak
>> wrote:
>>> Glad to announce the first beta for the 2.079.0 release, ♥ to
>>> the 77 contributors for this release.
>>>
>>> http://dlang.org/download.html#dmd_beta
>>> http://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html
>>>
>>> As usual please report any bugs at https://issues.dlang.org
>>>
>>> - ----
>>>
>>> This is probably the most feature-laden 2 month release ever.
>>
>> This looks good, but I'm not sure the many new features go
>> well with the "2 month release" thing. I hope there are plans
>> for a longer than usual testing period. Your announcement
>> reads to me like it's going to be a regression bug release.
>
> 17. Allow multiple selective imports from different modules in
> a single import statement
>
> I have a bad feeling that that one is going to be a source of a
> raft of bugs for years to come.

Indeed, I had a bad feeling about it when reading the change log,
didn't made sense first time I read it, and had to parse the line
2 times to understand what's up with it.

In the light of pretty much heated arguments following your post
I think it should be wise to deffer releasing this feature for a
future time, maybe drag it through a DIP?

This should also serve as a lesson to Walter and Andrei on how to
handle this kind of changes, now that the community is a bit
larger simple changes (at surface) have a bigger ripple effect.

Thanks.