Beta 2.079.0

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 22 17:44:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 02:06:20AM +0000, psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 at 16:58:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 02:46:56PM +0000, psychoticRabbit via
> > Digitalmars-d-announce wrote: [...]
> > > Syntax is EVERYTHING. It can make or break a language.
> >
> > And semantics doesn't matter.
> >
> > :-D
[...]
> assert("easy on the eyes" == "easy on the brain");

Therein lies the rub: "easy on the eyes" is subjective. Meaning that
reasonable people will disagree on what exactly constitutes "easy on the
eyes".  I'm pretty sure a Lisp geek would consider Lisp as very easy to
read, and everything else as an eyesore.  Does that mean everyone should
use Lisp syntax to the exclusion of all else?  I hope not.

> wtf! I get an assertion failure??

See, even dmd agrees with me. :-D

> programming languages are just dumb tools to write syntax ;-)

In Soviet Russia, programming languages write your syntax for you!

> the semantics are in a different domain.

Meaning, semantics are outside the domain of programming languages?
That's ... an intriguing idea.  I would like to subscribe to your
newsletter. :-D

Just because you survived after you did it, doesn't mean it wasn't stupid!