Beta 2.079.0

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 22 21:56:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:42:13PM +0000, Zoadian via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 February 2018 at 10:42:33 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:30:44 psychoticRabboit via
[...]
> > > what about something like this then?
> > >
> > > import std.stdio; std.conv: to, from; std.algorithm: doSomething;
> > > std.whatever;
> > >
> > > just one simple rule; multiple imports on a line are seperated with
> > > ;
> > >
> > > surely the parser or whatever it's called, could work with that
> > > clean and simple solution.

No it cannot. There's an ambiguity here: does the ';' mean the end of
the import statement, or a delimiter between multiple modules? ';'
cannot be used for this purpose.

> > Honestly, I'm against importing multiple modules on a single line
> > just like I'm against putting multiple variable declarations on a
> > single line. They're harder to read and easier to screw up.
[...]
> +1
> I agree 100%
[...]

+1. I agree 200%.  It's an eyesore, hard to read, easy to screw up, and
worst of all, *completely unnecessary*. There's nothing new it offers
that we cannot already do, and it's just adding redundant syntax for
marginal benefit (if even).

I'm a little disappointed that a change like this got in, whereas
something that's actually helpful, like DIP 1009, is sitting in limbo.

My program has no bugs! Only undocumented features...