Beta 2.079.0

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Fri Feb 23 00:41:58 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 00:05:59 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

> Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find arguments in the
> discussion below, would have been cool if there were a few well
> argumented comments instead dozens of +1s.

> - this grammar is ambiguous

Isn't that an argument?

>   It has always been in various ways and that's annoying to
> learn when you first deal with D. Personally I find it even
> more annoying that you can mix imports and selective imports,
> but only in a very specific exception.
>
> - why not X instead

Aren't alternative ideas welcome?

>   Go for it and try to find a consensus. I don't think the
> issue is big enough to warrant a huge design and bikeshedding
> discussion.

Some don't agree with you.

>   That's your opinion, my opinion is that importing 6 symbols
> from 6 different modules for a tiny cli tool sucks and bloats
> code example.

That's your opinion.

>   Indeed an alternative with a similar goal, reducing the
> amount of typing/noise for hacking.

You seem overly eager to save some typing, and the expense of
comprehension.
I don't get it. That's what bring programming languages into
disrepute.

> - why hasn't this been a DIP
>
>   Because it looked primarily like a minor grammar
> rectification that doesn't break anything and is entirely
> optional.

>   Also DIPs are a crucial process for our language, and it
> seems problematic to clog it with trivialities.

This doesn't seem that trivial based on the discussion.

> ----
>
> On the other side please note that:
>
> - you don't have to use it
> - it will unlikely land in phobos' style-guide
> - it's useful for talks, posts, code puzzles or on a repl where
> code is size constrained
> - there is no ambiguity or chance for bugs
> - practical examples of this usage are hardly confusing
>
>   import std.stdio : writeln, std.algorithm : find;

Seriously? You came up with the simplest example to demonstrate
you're argument?

> - remember that some people use `import mod1, mod2, mod3,
> mod4;` at least sometimes while others
>   prefer each import on it's own line
> - imports are mostly for tooling, less for humans

That's your opinion. I happen to think that imports help people
discover where stuff resides. I've learnt a lot from looking at
imports used.

>   - many java editors collapse the import manifest at the top
>   - a lot of languages have an import std.* operator or
> auto-imports

That's why nobody know where anything is in the their library.

> And last but not least, the simpler the topic the more
> opinions, so please refrain from "I don't like it, +1" and
> leave space for actual arguments.

Again, go back and read this thread properly, and don't be so
dismissive of the concerns people have expressed.