Beta 2.079.0

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:14:52 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 11:24:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, February 23, 2018 10:57:21 Martin Nowak via
> Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
>> On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 10:48:10 UTC, psychoticRabbit
>>
>> wrote:
>> > If D just wants to become a compiled scripting
>> > language...good luck to it.
>>
>> That's certainly not the goal, but as with every tool people
>> become very familiar with, it's used creatively for things
>> other than initially intended.
>
> And D has a lot of the easy-of-use that folks like to attribute
> to scripting languages. Thanks to how hard stuff like string
> processing is in C/C++, there's frequently a perception that
> compiled languages are hard to use for a lot of stuff that
> folks like to use scripting languages for, whereas that really
> has nothing to do with whether the language is compiled or not.
> And D is much more on-par with scripting languages in that
> regard even though it's compiled. So, if someone uses a
> scripting language because of its use-of-use, D frequently
> works for those use cases just as well.
>
> There's no requirement that a compiled language be used for
> large programs or that it be hard to use for simple tasks. And
> D can be used for a whole range of program sizes and tasks.
> It's a solid general purpose language, and small scripts fit
> into that just as well as large applications do.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Very well said. Coming from the world of full stack (front-end
and back-end),  D is the only language that provides me with all
of C/C++ but in a more Javascript &  php way of easing
development. Not only strings that are convenient to work with in
D,  but its has generally been for me... convenience in dealing
with data generally.

D is very well designed,  easy to understand, and can be a beast
if you want. Its one language you need to learn to be useful in
every domain. D is already enough as a scripting language. I can
code in D as fast as in Javascript (Nodejs).

That's why my complaints have not been about the language but
packages/library availability. D is my answer to one language for
everything. Being general purpose language at it's core is a good
thing. Best of both worlds.

std.range,  std.algorithms, std. string,  std.datetime solves 60%
of all my needs. Useful stuff on Dub too. More will come with
time.