State of D 2018 Survey

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Wed Feb 28 20:01:16 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 at 19:31:27 UTC, Cym13 wrote:
> If that were to be done again here are a few points that I'd
> improve:
>
> - there are many occurences of open questions where I entered a
> text only to find that the next fixed-choice question was about
> what I had written. I therefore feel like open questions should
> be asked as late as possible.

Ok. Understood. I tried to avoid this, but I obviously
(partially) failed.

> - some questions introduce clear bias as they don't have a
> clear default exit path.
>
> For example for "How would you rate the importance of having
> documentation and error messages translated into your native
> language?" I feel like english speakers should have a way to
> exit cleanly as clearly they are both more numerous than the
> counter part (I think) and less likely to feel a need for
> supporting other languages.

Good point! There are a few questions that already have logic
jumps (e.g. you get only asked about your experience with the
DTour if you actually said that you used it), but I obviously
missed that one. It's too late for that one now, but I will
definitely keep this in mind for 2019.

(also TypeForms so called "smart" jumps are severely limited, but
you got to use what you have.)

> - I don't know if typeform allows it but sometimes having a
> link to the feature discussion or library reference would have
> been great. I didn't had to search many of them to actually
> know what the survey was talking about (which doesn't always
> indicate that I'm not concerned about the consequences of the
> change).

TypeForm only allows a general description for questions which
very limited Markdown (not even link support, only raw links).
Anyhow, the feedback: "better descriptions" for questions is
noted. Thanks!

> That said, it was a very complete survey, thanks to everybody
> involved in putting this up! I hope it'll be of some use to the
> foundation.

Thanks! I hope so too!