DLang docker images for CircleCi 2.0

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sat Jan 6 16:05:01 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 at 05:02:48 UTC, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 13:12:48 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> tl;dr: you can now use special D docker images for CircleCi 2.0
>>
>> [snip
>>
>> PS: I'm aware of Stefan Rohe's great D Docker images [1], but
>> this Docker image is built on top of the specialized CircleCi
>> image (e.g. for their SSH login).
>
> One useful characteristic of Stefan's images is that the
> Dockerhub pages include the Dockerfile and github repository
> links. I don't know what it takes to include them. It does make
> it easier to see exactly what the configuration is, find the
> repo, and even create PRs against them. Would be useful if they
> can be added to the CircleCI image pages.

Oh, thanks for the hint! I added a link back to the repo:

https://github.com/wilzbach/dlang-docker

(FYI: the link was in my post)

> My interest in this case - I use Stefan's LDC image in
> Travis-CI builds. Building the runtime libraries with LTO/PGO
> requires the ldc-build-runtime tool, which in turn requires a
> few additional things in the docker image, like cmake or ninja.
> I was interested if they might have been included in the
> CircleCI images as well. (Doesn't appear so.)

Nope, it's not. Here's the list of the packages pre-installed:

https://github.com/wilzbach/dlang-docker/blob/master/circleci/dlang.docker

However, CircleCi gives you sudo rights by default and can simply
add:

> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cmake

Note that the CircleCi Docker image was motivated to test
PIE-hardening with DMD, but it's still WIP:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7579