LDC 1.7.0

German Diago germandiago at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:11:16 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 7 January 2018 at 12:22:17 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 January 2018 at 16:25:46 UTC, German Diago wrote:
>> - want no gc? Ok, at least there is BetterC, so if I invest
>> myself quite a bit on D (I am the kind of programmer that
>> likes to squeeze power out of machines, so this always means
>> that I will not consider VM languages), I will always have.
>
> Also, it's perfectly possible to avoid most of the downsides of
> the GC (and keep some of the upsides) without worrying about
> BetterC. @nogc where you need it is great, BetterC is a much
> more extreme solution.

Yes, that is my guess also, but there are chances that I will be
in these extreme situations myself, not for my pet projects, but
for some embedded stuff I want to do. That is why I want
something without runtime for microcontrollers at some point.
Just to have the possibility open. For now I think I will stick
to C++ for that (a subset) until I am confident D can do
perfectly ok there. I know D is designed for that also (modulo GC
and runtime) but I still need to see the practical, day to day
problems if I use D for such a thing instead of C++, which I know
quite well.