I have a plan.. I really DO

RhyS sale at rhysoft.com
Sun Jul 1 02:57:26 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 07:11:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I'd hope a manager would look at actually meaningful stats like
> downloads, rather than just fluffy stats such as "likes":
>
> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=crystal-lang&repository=crystal
> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc
>
> I see around 9k total downloads of the various Crystal 0.24 and
> 0.25 versions over the last 8 months, compared to 14k downloads
> of the ldc 1.9 compiler alone from two months ago.

Its hard to compare those figure because D and Crystal also use
package installers on the respectable platforms. Going to the
crystal download page makes that very clear. Making tracking
downloads more harder.

D can reach more Git downloads thanks to Windows users that do
not rely on Linux system packages.

D its buginess in between releases also does not help. I probably
downloaded LDC and DMD in the last 9 months a dozen times, being
forced to go back to older versions. Then trying the new
versions, going back. Again and again on Windows.

Downloads do not mean a lot when you can not keep the people. I
can swear that i alone am probably responsible for over 25+
downloads on Windows and dozens on Linux OS. And every time D
loses me after running into issues.

Crystal its 0.24 release is still perfectly working here. I
literally have downloaded 2 version in the last year. 0.23 and
0.24... That is it. No switching between version because of bugs
or package issues or dependency issues. Kind of ironic but maybe
because the http server and other packages are build in to the
core, i have no need for external 3th party solutions like D's
Vibe.d.

> Of course, all these stats can be gamed, but I think it'd be
> hard to argue Crystal is more popular.

code.d
Total 1336 packages found.

crystalshards.xyz
3359 total shards

Track both sites using archive.org and notice that Crystal is
growing faster in regards to Shards then D its packages.

Duplicates D something like 6 postgresql driver packages. Crystal
has 2 drivers. So D is actually fluffing its numbers with a lot
of not maintained duplicates. Mysql ... Its not hard to tell that
Crystal its Shards community is more active.

Crystal only recently got the funding to get a full time
employees to work on the code base. So one can expect the
development to increase from a mostly community driven platform.
They out gross Nim by almost double on average (
salt.bountysource.com ) and that does not include the 2000$ /
month that "84 codes" directly donates.

I do not know how much D takes in per month. This has always been
a more obscure, as is who are the people that really are paid
full time to work on D. Walter?

Crystal needs a lot of work but so does D. You expect D to have
more its act together for a language this old. No default http
server in this day and age is just really weak sauce. And Vibe.d
breaks plenty of times in between its releases and DMD releases.

Both have issues but one is under development for 4 year and the
other for 16 years. You expect D to simply outclass Crystal and
other languages. Even Rust is out developing D in many areas, a
lot thanks to a big community.