I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 15:40:20 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 14:01:11 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, July 01, 2018 13:37:32 Ecstatic Coder via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> >
>> > There already is one in the examples:
>> >
>> > #!/usr/bin/env dub
>> > /+ dub.sdl:
>> > name "hello_vibed"
>> > dependency "vibe-d" version="~>0.8.0"
>> > +/
>> > void main()
>> > {
>> >
>> >     import vibe.d;
>> >     listenHTTP(":8080", (req, res) {
>> >
>> >         res.writeBody("Hello, World: " ~ req.path);
>> >
>> >     });
>> >     runApplication();
>> >
>> > }
>>
>> Yeah I know, guess who asked for it...
>>
>> But the last step, which is including such functionality into
>> the standard library , will never happen, because nobody here
>> seems to see the point of doing this.
>>
>> I guess those who made that for Go and Crystal probably did it
>> wrong.
>>
>> What a mistake they did, and they don't even know they make a
>> mistake, silly them... ;)
>
> What should and shouldn't go in the standard library for a
> language is something that's up for a lot of debate and is
> likely to often be a point of contention. There is no clear
> right or wrong here. Languages that have had very sparse
> standard libraries have done quite well, and languages that
> have had kitchen sink libraries have done quite well. There are
> pros and cons to both approaches.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I agree.

But here I'm just talking of the "public image" of the language.

Languages which integrates HTTP-related components in their
standard library, and advertize on that (like Crystal for
instance), obviously apply a different "marketing" strategy than
languages which have chosen not to do so.

That's all I say...

I personally appreciate that my Go and Crystal code is mostly
based on standard components which are updated along with the
language, but I agree that vibe.d can perfectly get the job done
if you better trust thirdparty libraries for that.