I have a plan.. I really DO

SrMordred patric.dexheimer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:39:06 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 at 17:03:01 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> AFAIK, the current GC does not release memory back to the OS.
> So you won't see the memory footprint decrease.  However, it
> does free up memory for subsequent allocations.

if you put another
int[] x;
x.length = 1024 * 1024 * 128;

After the GC.collect you now get 1GB of memory usage.

My point is, this type of control is not enough control for
anyone coming from a non-GC language, so they will point out GC
as a problem. And in my opinion with reason.

I´m using my own lib on D with nogc container and other utilities
to avoid completly the GC.

Altought I know that is completly possible to use GC and have
good performance, I dont think the arguments for it are enough to
convince most people.

I find D awesome (and probably will never look at C++ again), but
for me you can remove GC completly from the language and it will
continue to be aswesome.

(For me, i'm hoping to compile everything that I have with
-betterC in the future. Waiting for some bugs related to betterC
to be solved)