I have a plan.. I really DO

RhyS sale at rhysoft.com
Thu Jul 12 11:36:15 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 at 21:19:18 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I agree. And I must admit that from that point of view I'm
> indeed part of the problem...

Its a problem every open source project faces. No matter if its D
or Crystal or ...

The main issue is that many people in those open source project
forget, that the people who come to their project/language are
only looking to use it for their work. They are not looking to
spend x amount of time on open source development because they
have their own projects or work.

Is it unfair that the mass benefits from the work of the few.
Sure. But putting the blame on the people who use the tools and
see them as problems is kind of ironic.

If the goal is to get a successful language, those type of blame
attitudes are only counter productive. For most people its easy
to switch languages when they have little invested and complain
about issues.

Its the same with the donations. I stated before that D as a
organisation with its financing feels very mysterious. You do not
see where the money goes and people are not motivated to donate
to a organisation when they feel their complains are not taken
serious.

A lot of open source project simply forget that its all about
marketing and community creation. If you fail at one of them,
like being semi aggressive when new users complain, it simply
cuts into your own pockets.

D has a massive increased in downloads but has a hard time
actually keeping the people interested who download the D
compiler. That normally needs to be a wake up call for any
community.

I think a larger issue is that a lot of older community members
have been with the D language for years upon years and they are
tired of people complaining on issues. It also does not help that
D simply keeps getting more features that few people care about
outside a very small group of programmers. BetterC ... your not
going to convert a lot of C developers. D as a C++ replacement,
C++ 14/17 keeps improving, why change over to D with less
resources.

In my personal opinion Crystal is gaining more momentum then D
despite that D has a much more active blog/communication.

Part of that is simply that people come to D looking for a easy
language and discover the over focus on C/C++ and run into the
issues. Add a bit of semi-aggressive forum members when complains
show up and there goes your new user looking at Go or another
language.