Symmetry Autumn of Code

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Sat Jul 14 13:57:12 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 07:30:26 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 06:02:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> Thanks to the sponsorship of Symmetry Investments, the D
>> Language Foundation is happy to announce the Symmetry Autumn
>> of Code!
>>
>> We're looking for three university students to hack on D this
>> autumn, from September - January. We're also in search of
>> potential mentors and ideas for student projects. Head to the
>> Symmetry Autumn of Code page for the details.
>>
>> Spread the word!
>>
>> https://dlang.org/blog/symmetry-autumn-of-code/
>
> "join us" for
> "submit an application" -> apply (confusing otherwise)
>
> Maybe sum up and make clear that each student can earn between
> $3000-4000, instead of capped at $1k.
>
> Why limit it to students? If the goal is to have a youth
> injection, just use an age limit- say 18-25- I see no reason
> for the stupid college bias.

Hi Joakim.

Thanks for suggestions.

I don't know what legal aspects there are relating to targeting
age in different countries.  We are definitely targeting people
earlier in their careers.  I agree with you that talent isn't
only found amongst students, and I've in the past hired someone
that didn't even finish high school and has gone on to do good
work for the D community.  So as far as Symmetry goes we are very
open to unusual talent.  A degree is just one piece of
interesting information.

https://symmetryinvestments.com/careers/

There's quite a lot of work involved in organising something like
this, and I'm very grateful to the D Foundation for doing such an
excellent job.

We can refine this for next year, but I wanted to make a start.

Laeeth