Funding code-d

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:54:01 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 16:19:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 14:20:19 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> As promised in my tweet of June 30 (and to the handful of
>> people who emailed me), the cloud of mystery surrounding the
>> use of the money raised for code-d and its supporting tools
>> has now been (partially) lifted!
>>
>> In this post, I lay out the details of how the first $1000
>> will be paid out to project maintainer Jan Jurzitza, a.k.a
>> Webfreak001, and explain what we hope to achieve with this
>> ecosystem fundraising initiative going forward.
>>
>> This time around, it all came together in the background of
>> prepping for DConf with little forethought beyond activating
>> an Open Collective goal and then working with Jan to determine
>> the details. Lessons were learned. Later this year, you'll see
>> the result when we announce the next of what we hope to be an
>> ongoing series of funding targets.
>>
>> In the meantime:
>>
>> The blog
>> https://dlang.org/blog/2018/07/13/funding-code-d/
>>
>> Reddit
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/8yka7b/funding_coded_the_d_blog/
>
> Nice explication of the plan, really needed. Why github never
> rolled out such a bounty program for OSS and other public
> projects has to be one of the head-scratching moves of all
> time, no wonder they were about to run out of money before they
> sold.
>
> A good way to decide on future projects would be to let
> prospective donors stake money on various proposals, to see how
> much backing they might receive, sort of like how kickstarter
> and other crowdfunding sites work.

+1

May I suggest the two following improvements for the next
proposals :

1/ integrating a Go-like web server code inside the default
library (http module, fiber and channel async IO)
2/ possibility to use automatic reference counting (with weak
references and optional cycle detection) instead of garbage
collection for automatic unused memory deallocation

The first one to help D compete on the same grounds as Go and
Crystal, and the second to make it usable in the same GC-unwanted
use cases where people currently use C or C++.

Probably just a silly idea, please feel free to completely ignore
it...

PS: Geany is also a VERY nice multi-platform IDE to develop in
C++ and D on Linux, Windows and Mac, for those who still don't
know it...