Symmetry Autumn of Code

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:53:23 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 03:19:53 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 18/07/2018 5:36 AM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 06:02:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>> Thanks to the sponsorship of Symmetry Investments, the D
>>> Language Foundation is happy to announce the Symmetry Autumn
>>> of Code!
>>>
>>> We're looking for three university students to hack on D this
>>> autumn, from September - January. We're also in search of
>>> potential mentors and ideas for student projects. Head to the
>>> Symmetry Autumn of Code page for the details.
>>>
>>> Spread the word!
>>>
>>> https://dlang.org/blog/symmetry-autumn-of-code/
>>
>> I'd suggest adding the following to SAOC 2018 project
>> proposals :
>>
>> 1/ adding a Go-like http module to the standard library
>> 2/ adding Go-like async IO management to the standard library,
>> i.e. fibers communicating through blocking channels
>
> Until we get an event loop in druntime, both of these options
> are off the table.

Sad.

Then I'd suggest to add the event loop implementation to SAOC
2018 too, because the absence of a default http module in D's
standard library may have very good justifications, but I'm still
convinced that it doesn't help when trying to "sell" it to modern
developers, considering that nowadays MANY of the applications
they will develop in a professional facility will have to
integrate http code to access or update the company's data.