Symmetry Autumn of Code

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Jul 22 18:40:27 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 at 16:33:10 UTC, Zheng (Vic) Luo wrote:
> I'm interested in the "Graphics library for resource
> constrained embedded systems" project and have some spare time
> this autumn, but I have some questions:
> - Does this project aim at creating a hardware-agnostic
> rasterizer supporting a few primitives like https://skia.org/
> or implementing a full GUI library like emWin rendering widget
> and handling I/O events such as mouse? The latter one sounds a
> little bit challenging to finish in four months

I can't say too much about this as I'm not that familiar with the
proposed project, but here's what I can say: it's just a
suggestion. It's definition isn't set in stone and is just a
pointer to a problem to get you started.
For more pointers and discussion, I recommend to ping Mike
(https://github.com/JinShil) as IIRC he was the one who proposed
this project and could also be a potential mentor.
(and I think the aim is sth. to sth. akin to Skia)

> - In the past year I primarily wrote C++ and don't have much
> experiences with production-level D programming, can I get
> involved into this program?

Yes. Applicants aren't expected to be D experts. Also sound
experience in C++ will definitely help you (especially for such a
low-level project).
AFAICT a sound proposal and showing that you are serious about
the project/commitment is more important than your D history.
There are a few posts in the D blog about the GSoC in 2016
(https://dlang.org/blog/category/gsoc) which provide a few more
insights, but in short none of the students from GSoC 2016 were
well-known member of the D community before the GSoC.