Symmetry Autumn of Code

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:09:48 UTC 2018

On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 10:33:28 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 09:52:54 UTC, Zheng (Vic) Luo wrote:
>
>> Regarding floating point operations, I plan to use
>> dmd.builtins/ldc.builtins instead of linking with libm.
>
> That reminds me.  Something else to consider is that some of
> these microcontrollers don't have FPUs.  Graphics libraries
> designed for microcontrollers often use fixed-point math as a
> lowest common denominator.  I think, given the features of D,
> fixed-point or floating point could be selected at compile-time.
>
> But, I don't wish to expand the scope of the project.  An
> all-floating point library would be fine, IMO, and fixed-poing
> math could be added to the library in a future iteration.
>
> Mike

Having already implemented a video game engine using exclusively
fixed point math for a nintendo handheld, I can tell you that the
rasterizer code will have to be implemented with that in mind.
Using several precisions (16.16/20.12/40.24 formats) and 64 bits
products, avoid divisions, etc.

A very different beast IMHO, even with fixed point structs
overloading the different math operators...