On D in competitive programming

Ivan Kazmenko gassa at mail.ru
Sun Jul 29 09:08:30 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 29 July 2018 at 07:51:00 UTC, Jim Balter wrote:
> Actually, map!something does not drop empty parentheses, so
> mentioning that does not help. Parentheses containing 0 or 1
> arguments can be omitted ... and you omit them for 1 argument
> in 3 places, and no instances of omitted empty parentheses. And
> I think it would be less confusing to an unfamiliar reader to
> mention UFCS, because the chained calls don't fit the function
> !(args1) (args2) syntax that you mention.

While that's technically right, I'd like to skip further
explanations of the syntax.  The same as I skipped why the
problem is solved by such code at all (and it's even less
obvious).  In both cases, careful explanations would require a
good paragraph or two, but are beside the point.  The point of
the article is more to just show how it feels and to spark
interest than to explain everything.  On the other hand, if I had
to write a guide for competitive programmers on how to use D,
such things sure would be included.

Ivan Kazmenko.