How I Came To Write D is #1 on Hacker News!

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jun 3 22:13:05 UTC 2018

On 6/3/2018 3:03 PM, Huuskes wrote:
> I meant more in the AMA-ready-to-answer any questions sense, haha. You don't see
> that often where the creator of <insert language here> pops up in threads. It's
> nice to see, partially how I ended up here! ^^

Back in the Symantec days, I would regularly do tech support myself on
CompuServe. Most other compiler guys preferred to be anonymous, or at least
their employers preferred it that way. (Symantec neither asked nor dissuaded me
from doing it.)

In the Zortech days, the manual and some of the ads had a picture of me on them.
At a Zortech meet the press function, I was accused of being a model (!) hired
to pose for the picture. I had to answer a bunch of tech questions and show my
passport to convince them I really did write it.

I don't know if personalizing the compiler like this hurt or helped.

P.S. Imagine me, a model! The mind boggles. I coulda been Marky-Mark!