GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Jun 4 04:40:44 UTC 2018

On Monday, June 04, 2018 03:51:15 Anton Fediushin via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> This is still just a rumour, we'll know the truth on Monday
> (which is today).
>
> Some articles about the topic:
>
> https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/3/17422752/microsoft-github-acquisition-ru
> mors
>
> What's your opinion about that? Will you continue using GitHub?
>
> Both GitLab and Bitbucket can be used instead to host your D
> projects - dub registry supported them for a while now.
>
> IMHO Microsoft isn't the type of company I want to see behind the
> GitHub. Maybe I am wrong since Microsoft has both money and
> programmers to improve it further, I just don't trust them too
> much which is the right thing to do when dealing with companies.
> This means that I will move my repositories elsewhere and use
> GitHub just to contribute to other projects.

It would increase the odds that I would put public repos on bitbucket
(that's already where I put all of my private repos, since it's free there
but not at github). But I don't know. The main reason to go with github is
because it's the main place that folks go looking for open source projects,
and anyone who finds you on github (be it through the official dlang
projects or something else) will find your stuff on github that way but not
the stuff that you have elsewhere. On some level, what you have on github
serves as a resume in a way that it wouldn't with other sites (especially if
folks are finding you online rather than you pointing to your repos in your
actual resume).

I can't say that I'll be happy if Microosft buys github (just like I wasn't
happy when they bought linkedin), but I also can't say for sure that it will
change what I do. A lot of that will depend on what Microsoft does and how
it affects the open source community at large. The odds of my hosting stuff
elsewhere definitely then go up, but I don't know what I'll do. This is bad
news but likely not catastrophic.

On the bright side, maybe this will encourage online repo hosting to become
less of a monopoly as folks move elsewhere due to their concerns about
Microsoft.

- Jonathan M Davis