GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Anton Fediushin fediushin.anton at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 4 05:50:26 UTC 2018

On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 04:26:25 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 03:51:15 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
>> This is still just a rumour, we'll know the truth on Monday
>> (which is today).
>>
>> Some articles about the topic:
>>
>> https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/
>> https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/3/17422752/microsoft-github-acquisition-rumors
>>
>> What's your opinion about that? Will you continue using GitHub?
>
> Well, MS already contributes big time to many open-source
> projects, including Git.
> I do not see immanent  problem with them buying it.

I can think of hundreds of things what can go wrong including:
forcing users to use Microsoft accounts, advertising own
products, changing search to Bing (that's pretty bad one, no idea
how I came up with it) and more and more.

I can agree though that last 5 years or so Microsoft is doing
well with open-source projects. Question is: will it carry on
with open-source?

>> Both GitLab and Bitbucket can be used instead to host your D
>> projects - dub registry supported them for a while now.
>
> Both are fine, though Gitlab seems more sexy now.

Indeed it is. GitHub is stuck in  2010-s and the UI of GitLab is
beautiful and smooth.

>> IMHO Microsoft isn't the type of company I want to see behind
>> the GitHub. Maybe I am wrong since Microsoft has both money
>> and programmers to improve it further, I just don't trust them
>> too much which is the right thing to do when dealing with
>> companies.
>
> Would you trust Google? Me, I’m not.
> In fact if we were to place trust, comercial IT companies would
> be pretty down on my list of “trust” in any case.

If you'd ask me a year or two ago - maybe, but now I have no idea
what Google is doing and last bits of trust I had are gone.