GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Anton Fediushin fediushin.anton at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 4 10:05:38 UTC 2018

On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 09:38:57 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 05:50:26 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
>> I can think of hundreds of things what can go wrong including:
>> forcing users to use Microsoft accounts, advertising own
>> products, changing search to Bing (that's pretty bad one, no
>> idea how I came up with it) and more and more.
>
> Something that might be worth being concerned about is that
> Microsoft might be more strict in policing its online
> properties than GitHub, so watch out for them shutting down
> projects/repositories of politically charged subjects, or those
> e.g. based on reverse-engineered MS code.

GitHub removed repositories before when contents were illegal.

That's an interesting question though: now there's nothing
stopping MS from changing user agreement and removing
repositories without any kind of legal lawsuit.

Also, nothing stops MS from making it harder for other big
companies like Google and Apple to support and host their
projects on the GitHub.