Driving Continuous Improvement in D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 15:52:24 UTC 2018

On 6/2/18 3:23 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> In this post for the D Blog, Jack Stouffer details how dscanner is used
> in the Phobos development process to help improve code quality and fight
> entropy.
>
> The blog:
> https://dlang.org/blog/2018/06/02/driving-continuous-improvement-in-d/
>
> reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8nyzmk/driving_continuous_improvement_in_d/

I like the article, but was taken aback a bit by this quote: "for
example, a PR to fix a bug in a specific piece of code mustn’t also edit
the documentation of that function."

Really? I both was not aware of this policy, and don't understand why
you wouldn't fix the docs at the same time. Can you elaborate?

I'll give you an example of what I was thinking of. Let's say you have a
function foo:

/**
  * foo takes a parameter and returns true if ...
  */
bool foo(T)(T t) { ... }

And you realize foo really should only take integer parameters:

/**
  * foo takes integer parameters and returns true if ...
  */
bool foo(T)(T t) if (isIntegral!T) { ... }

Why not both edit the function and fix the docs in the same PR? In fact,
why would we *accept* the change without updating the docs?

-Steve