GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 19:39:28 UTC 2018

On 6/3/18 11:51 PM, Anton Fediushin wrote:
> This is still just a rumour, we'll know the truth on Monday (which is
> today).
>
> Some articles about the topic:
>
> https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/3/17422752/microsoft-github-acquisition-rumors
>

> What's your opinion about that? Will you continue using GitHub?

Of course.

> Both GitLab and Bitbucket can be used instead to host your D projects -
> dub registry supported them for a while now.

I use both bitbucket and github. I think I will simply continue to use
what makes sense at the time (as Jonathan pointed out, hosting a private
repository is free on bitbucket).

> IMHO Microsoft isn't the type of company I want to see behind the
> GitHub. Maybe I am wrong since Microsoft has both money and programmers
> to improve it further, I just don't trust them too much which is the
> right thing to do when dealing with companies. This means that I will
> move my repositories elsewhere and use GitHub just to contribute to
> other projects.

I don't know if it makes any difference to me. Sure, they have
infrastructure and market share, but all that changes if they do
something really annoying. There are good competing sites, and people
will just move their stuff. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for someone
to make software that ports your entire github project to gitlab or
whatever, maybe it already exists.

Microsoft just isn't the same big bad company that once paid for Linux
licenses from SCO group to fund their lawsuit against Linux. This past
year, they actually incorporated part of Linux into their OS! I don't
think this is necessarily going to be bad for github.

One thing I have read that is intriguing: if you are a Microsoft
competitor and you have private-source repos at github, how do you feel
about that?

-Steve