GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Jun 5 10:44:05 UTC 2018

On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 19:06:52 UTC, Maksim Fomin wrote:

> My second reaction after reading news (after shock) was to
> visit D forum.

Same here! I was off for a few days and found out today on GitHub
[1], and then I remembered the thread header talking about
GitLab. I'm skeptical to say the least. I still remember how
difficult it was to use Skype after it had been bought by MS. I
dunno what's behind it. Polishing up their image, trying to get
the copyright for all the code on GitHub, killing off OSS, or all
of the above ;)

MS have certainly missed a lot of stuff over the last couple of
years, stuff that came out of or was based on the OSS community.
Search engines, the success of Java, Android and the mobile phone
market in general, social media etc. People will create and move
to new platforms, simply because they don't like the thought of
MS hosting their code (same goes for Google or Oracle). They will
move to platforms made by their fellow programmers. Now, this
will take some time and GitHub will do business as usual for at
least a year. But the rot will set in sooner or later, I think.

[1] e.g. https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/