GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

MSFanBoy_kinda MSFanBoy at MSFanBoy.com
Tue Jun 5 11:06:10 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 03:53:31 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> GitHub has not been profitable for years and is thought to have
> had cash reserves for only one or two more months of
> operations. Losing GitHub entirely overnight would have been an
> unmitigated disaster for the entire Open-Source community.

Of course it had to be losing money..how else would they have
convinced everyone it need to be aquired? That's long term
business strategy at work ;-)

> And there are fates worse than death. Imagine for a second
> GitHub at Google or ... *shudder* Oracle. Whatever your
> opinions about Microsoft, you cannot possible imagine that
> either of those outcomes would have been qualitatively better.
> In that sense Microsoft was the best of the bad options GitHub.

'best of the bad options'?

Now which company has done more for software development, besides
Microsoft?

Mostly closed source proprietary, sure, but still...(and that's
changed a lot now!)

I'm sure MS Linux will come out soon .. someone has to compete
with Ubuntu.

And sure, MS stopped a lot of other developers/apps from
competing ...but hey, that's business...what else can we expect
(from any for-profit, shareholder company).

C# - Windows Forms - Database integration - anyone? I still
program with them ;-)

If I tried doing any one of my 'windows forms apps' on any open
source solution/platform, the productivity loss alone would be
immense.

I also remember when I was programming DOS gui apps back in the
early nineties - using Visual Basic 1.0 for DOS - it was just
amazing how easy it was (even though it never caught on, cause
Windows was about to become the next big thing.) Try doing those
apps in Borland C....jeessseses...!

MS have done more for software developers, than anyone, in my
opinion.

Now I'm not a fan of the MS cloud push at all, but for high
productivity development tools and sophisticated applications, MS
were always hard to beat.

That is, until Windows 8 came out.. then it all went
backwards...now its all that html javascript crap! or stupid
useless apps on the ms apps store - or that god awful monstrosity
that VS studio has become!!  (I'm still on VS2010, using C# 4.0
and Windows Forms...and I'm not moving!)

No doubt Github will just be integrated into their overall crappy
vision of their cloud future...

I hate cloud! Dump the tablet and mobile, and bring back the pc (
running Windows XP 64 bit, or course - where admin means admin!).