GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:40:37 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 17:12:00 UTC, Apocalypto wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 16:12:25 UTC, RalphBa wrote:
>
>> Did you ever have the need to write something efficient? .NET
>> is a sandbox for children and UX people.
>
> Oh yeah, toy applications for children like StackOverflow,
> Siemens NX, Solidworks, most of the Azure platform, MSSQL and
> Visual Studio just to name a few. Even a toy compiler like
> Roslyn. Don't be surprised if github will run someday on top of
> the .net platform. Welcome to the children playground!

This take on Microsoft is really ridiculous. I hope it's all just
for fun. I've been using Linux 100% for years and it's really
ridiculous seeing comments about Microsoft being some evil
company. Beating competition with alternative product is
everywhere...Google took over from Yahoo, Github from Rosetta and
Co,  Facebook from others,...its all competition in business.

These people who complain don't usually contribute a penny to
Open source. Frankly, Microsoft has done great things for the
world with software. Making computers accessible to everyone...
They recently came out with VS Code which is better than any
existing open source alternative...even though it uses same
technology as atom and bracket text editor. Really, Microsoft
write high quality software... proprietary or open source. They
contribute to Linux and other tools. There's the major
contributor to open source.

Github is a for-profit company so of course i would expect to
make profit too if I bought it. Your employer doesn't pay you
with leaves. That money comes from commercialization. Developers
must eat.

I think some only look at what happened during Steve Balmer's
time as ceo. It was "HIS" strategy to pick on Linux. In fact, he
pick on Apple too and several other competing products. Its all
marketing and competition and its pretty much everywhere.
Monopoly and patent registration is everywhere. I'm not saying
its a good thing or bad,...Its not just Microsoft.

If you're don't trust Microsoft, you shouldn't trust any
commercial company. Microsoft has changed business model too by
embracing open source. In fact, their the real believers in open
source now compared to those who don't think theirs money in open
source.