GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Jun 7 05:28:26 UTC 2018

On 06/03/2018 11:51 PM, Anton Fediushin wrote:

> What's your opinion about that? Will you continue using GitHub?

The obvious question is "Will MS use evil/strongarm shenanigans with
GitHub?"

That would've been the one and only right question if this were the
90's. (And the answer probably would've been, "Duh, yes.")

But, while I am somewhat concerned about that possibility (mainly in the
long term), with modern MS I think I'm really more concerned about
GitHub being marred by bone-headed ideas and/or sheer ineptitude. Way I
see it, that's kinda been MS's main MO the last decode or so. (Heck,
their games and OS divisions can barely even count numbers.
One...three-hundred sixty...one again...eight...point one...ten...)

Let's face it, evil or not, when MS touches stuff, how often do they NOT
wind up damaging it one way or the other? Sometimes maybe, but not usually.

I don't think this is a "sky is falling" omen for GitHub (...although
there WAS codeplex...but then again, codeplex was kinda inferior to its
competitors anyway). And I don't think there will be any immediate
problems (even MS isn't that stupid, and if they are...it'd take time to
implement anyway).

But, based on MS record, I do think it's likely there will be some
facepalm/WTF moments for GitHub users down the road. The big questions
are "What?", "When?" and "Will they be promptly reverted/mitigated?"

I've always felt GitLab was better than GitHub (in large part because
they're sensible enough to support self-hosting), so it's tempting to
use this as a great reason to move to GitLab. I won't though, unless
MS-GitHub starts doing things that irritate me. Then I probably will.

In any case, I've always thought it was absolutely sick that that even
though GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab/Launchpad/etc. all provide basically the
same features on top of the standard ***distributed*** version control
systems, they are all completely incapable of talking to each other or
acting as interchangable viewers on a single set of common project data.
So much for the "distributed" in "DVCS".

What I've ALWAYS felt we needed, and even moreso now, is a tool to
commoditize these "VCS Plus" services. So we can just FORCE the choice
of GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab to be "Whatever frontend the user prefers",
and everything gets cross-synced and interlinked, etc., and bring the
"distributed" back to DVCS, rather than chaining each project to a
centralized walled garden.

Keep in mind, if we had been commoditizing and decentralizing repository
hosting, issue tracking, PRs, user accounts, etc. right from the start
like we should've been, then this MS buyout of GitHub would've been
entirely irrelevant to everyone outside GitHub itself. That's what
happens with single points of failure. And the reason VCSes even went
DVCS in the first place.