GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

SpaceInvader spaceinvader at spaceinvaders.com
Sat Jun 9 05:18:22 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 02:09:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 5:54 PM, Kapps wrote:
>> Personally I think the fear of Microsoft ruining GitHub is
>> completely unfounded.
>
> My concern has nothing to do with Microsoft. It's about not
> totally relying on any third party not under our control.

Mmm..but the whole point of 'cloud' (from a business model
perspective) is to make us all rely on 3rd parties not under our
control.

MS wants github in order to create strategic dependencies - i.e.
have 'them' host 'our' stuff. That creates the dependency. Now
they have us.

Even if the D foundation set up its own git repo, it would still
need to host it somewhere.

So no matter what you do, in the cloud, you're always dependent
on someone. There just no getting around it.

So, in the cloud, it all comes back to risk management.

Ideally, repo's could be replicated across different hosting
providers/platforms, and in the event of one going belly up, we'd
all automatically switch over....

..but what are the chances that rival companies will co-operate,
so that can be achieved?