SecureD moving to GitLab

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jun 9 05:47:30 UTC 2018

On 6/6/2018 2:17 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> It is worth noting that any employer who understands software
> development and is involved in software development will write into the
> contract of employment that all software created by an employee at any
> time is the property of the employer. However, they must also have a
> system for explicitly allowing employees to work on code in their own
> time (or even on company time) that is then contributed under some
> licence or other. The point here is that the employee effectively has
> first refusal on all software created.

Oh, employers do try that. I would negotiate what is mine and what is the
company's, before signing. In particular, I'd disclose all projects I'd worked
on before, and get a specific acknowledgement that those were not the company's.
When I'd moonlight, before I'd do so, I'd describe the project on a piece of
paper and get acknowledgement from the company that it is not their project.

And I never had any trouble about it.

(These days, life is a bit simpler. One thing I like about Github is the
software is all date stamped, so I could, for instance, prove I wrote it before
joining company X.)