SecureD moving to GitLab

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Jun 9 10:19:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-06-08 at 22:47 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:

[…]
> Oh, employers do try that. I would negotiate what is mine and what is the
> company's, before signing. In particular, I'd disclose all projects I'd
> worked
> on before, and get a specific acknowledgement that those were not the
> company's.
> When I'd moonlight, before I'd do so, I'd describe the project on a piece
> of
> paper and get acknowledgement from the company that it is not their project.

Not only should employers try that, they must do that or fail in their
responsibilities to the shareholders.

But that is the point, all the employer needs to know is that any software you
do outside the company does not compete with or  "steal" stuff from inside the
company. Openness and straightforwardness is all that is required so all
parties know what is going on.

> And I never had any trouble about it.

Any potential employer not behaving reasonably, is an employer not to work
for.

> (These days, life is a bit simpler. One thing I like about Github is the
> software is all date stamped, so I could, for instance, prove I wrote it
> before
> joining company X.)

And of course, non-GPL and LGPL software on GItHub, GitLab, BitBucket,
Launchpad, are there fore the taking: why pay people when you can use their
work free of charge. ;-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200