dlangbot for Telegram - D compiler in your pocket

Anton Fediushin fediushin.anton at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 11 05:50:56 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 10 June 2018 at 19:54:20 UTC, Dechcaudron wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 20:28:24 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
>> Hello, I am glad to announce that new Telegram bot which can
>> execute D code is up and running!
>>
>> Check it out here: https://t.me/dlangbot
>>
>> Features:
>>  - Two compilers to choose from: dmd (default) and ldc
>>  - Support for custom compiler arguments with `/args` command
>>  - It's possible to set program's stdin with `/stdin`
>>  - Code is automatically compiled and ran again when you edit
>> your message
>>
>> Repository: https://gitlab.com/ohboi/dlangbot
>>
>> Any ideas on how to improve it are appreciated!
>
> As much as I love Telegram bots and D, compilation and
> execution offered by a bot provides no clear advantage to me
> (still, I kinda like it). I assume you are looking out for
> potential vulnerabilities?
>
> How about allowing for download of the executable?

This bot has the same purpose as run.dlang.io - a sandbox to try
some things and share code with people. Even though sharing can
be done with simple 'highlight your message with code and bot's
reply -> share these messages' I am thinking about ways to make
it simpler and faster.

Regarding vulnerabilities, if there are any I and
authors/maintainers of dlang-tour will be interested in fixing
them ASAP. After all, dlangbot uses tour's code under the hood.

Executable downloading would require me to rewrite the back-end.
I am not sure if it'll worth it because it's not clear how safe
that would be for a user and how usable that feature will be. I
mean, if user already has x86-64 Linux machine (that's what
dlangbot uses) then will it be any simpler and faster to message
the bot with code, download an executable and run it than
compiling it using installed compiler?