Encouraging preliminary results implementing memcpy in D

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Jun 14 20:59:06 UTC 2018

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 16:04:32 Nick Sabalausky  via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> On 06/14/2018 05:01 AM, AnotherTorUser wrote:
> > If all such people stopped working for such companies, what do you think
> > the economic impact would be?
>
> What do you think is the social impact if they don't? And don't even try
> to pretend the companies can't trivially solve the "economic" issues for
> themselves in an instant by knocking off the behaviour that causes loss
> of talent.

But that would imply that they have a frontal lobe. :)

In all seriousness, it is surprising how frequently companies seem to be
incapable of making decisions that would fix a lot of their problems, and
they seem to be incredibly prone to thinking about things in a shortsighted
manner.

I'm reminded of an article by Joel Spoelskey where he talks about how one of
the key things that a source control software solution can do to make it
more likely for folks to be willing to try it is to make it easy to get your
source code and history back out again and into another source control
system. However, companies typically freak out at the idea of making it easy
to switch from their product to another product. They're quite willing to
make it easy to switch _to_ their product so that they can start making
money off of you, but the idea that making it low cost to leave could
actually improve the odds of someone trying their product - and thus
increase their profits - seems to be beyond them.

Another case which is closer to the exact topic at hand is that many
companies seem to forget how much it costs to hire someone when they
consider what they should do to make it so that their employees are willing
- or even eager - to stay. Spending more money on current employees (be that
on salary or something else to make the workplace desirable) or avoiding
practices that tick employees off so that they leave can often save money in
the long run, but companies frequently ignore that fact. They're usually
more interested in saving on the bottom line right now than making decisions
that save money over time.

So, while I completely agree that companies can technically make decisions
that solve some of their problems with things like retaining talent, it
seems like it's frequently the case that they're simply incapable of doing
it in practice - though YMMV; some companies are better about it than
others.

- Jonathan M Davis