I have a plan.. I really DO

Gheorghe Gabriel knoppy273 at live.com
Fri Jun 29 09:16:26 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 08:43:34 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 07:03:52 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
> wrote:>
> For engine and game development I'm still using C++, despite I
> prefer D, and believe me this won't change for a while.
>
> Game development is a very special use case, but personally I
> don't think that many of those who use C++ for
> close-to-the-metal development should be that much interested
> in switching to D, because most of its standard libraries
> depend on the presence of a GC...

I switched form C++ to D on game development one year ago.
I am developing CrystalEngine in D, it's on DUB.
The performance with GC it's good, for now.
Anyway, I try to avoid GC as much as possible.
The main issue for me in game development with D is the
cross-compilation (e.g. iOS, Windows Universal Platform..).
But also, with (static if/foreach, mixin) and other CTFE stuff, I
can optimize the code much better than with c++ poor CTFE and
preprocessor.